Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Sawyer's First Sick Day & Mommy's Labor Of Love

My sweet face officially has her first cold. After a very sleepless night and lots of tears (which is really unusual for Sawyer) I took her to the doc. Words of advice from my dad " Welcome to motherhood". :):)


So I spent most of the day learning how to do everything one-handed (even blogging!) because my normally super independent baby just wanted to be held... and cry A LOT :\

Ive been wanting to make and freeze some homemade baby food for awhile. Of course I've looked up the do's & donts which all just seem to be a personal preference. I even almost shelled out the dough for one of those really fancy baby food makers ( ya know.. slices dices... as seen on TV goodies) but glad that I didn't. Unless it's going to make this whole baby food making easy as pie, I'll spend my money elsewhere.

I'm pretty stoked with the end results. But just so you are aware... this was not easy and quick as some will lead you to believe. It's a process that is tedious but all in all... it was worth it. I loved being able to "cook" for her and hopefully she won't spit it out in disgust. Keep posted :)

Any all you baby-food makers: first of all if you do this on a regular basis, KUDOS to you! I hope that I can find the time to do this more often. Fingers crossed :) Secondly, would love to hear suggestions to make this process easier (or quicker) or even recipes. I am blessed with a kid that will eat anything (YEA!) and I'm sure she would like some variety.


And did I mention that I somehow managed to through Chicken & Rice in the crockpot and make cinnamon honey butter (like the gooey crack-like goodness at Texas Roadhouse) for dinner tonight? Yes, I'm tooting my own horn but I never get to be very domestic. Let's just say I was Pinterest inspired... again :) Follow Me On Pinterest. You can find the recipes on my boards.

Thanks for swinging by :)

Decided to try carrots & sweet potatoes. And then a last minute decision of nectarines

I read that carrots that are not organic need to be peeled due to nitrates... so that's what I did 
My snot-nosed Hootie Hu wants to help. Did I mention that she's almost fully mobile? Everything but walking... 


Glass pan coated with olive oil


cut carrots long-ways
Baked at 375° for 45 minutes

added 2oz of formula at a time until I got the consistency that I wanted

liquify :):)

was a huge mess but def worth it

measure portions out

found these cute little 2 oz storage containers at Burlington Coat Factory
She generally eats one 4oz helping and we start on another but doesn't usually finish. 
This will be a great option!
And voilà!! My labor of love for my sweet girl. 
voilà

I'm pretty thrilled with the outcome 

3 comments:

Mags627 said...

I suggest picking one day a week and make as much as you can. I find steaming works faster in the cooking department than most other methods and you supposedly retain more of the nutrients. I also use the water from steaming to help with the consistency and also add back in said nutrients. Then you also don't have to worry about making formula to mix in.

Tara Hayes said...

What do you use to steam it? I just used a pot with a lid but I somehow managed to burn some :)she ate the necterines butstarted gagging with the sweet potatoes which she normally loves. Like they were too thick.... it freaked me out. Im sure ill try again. Just not used to her reacting like that to any food :)

Mags627 said...

I just got a steamer basket to put in one of my big pasta-esque pots. Then I fill with water just to the bottom of the steamer basket. Just check the water level time to time. I forgot once and totally scorched a pan. The whole batch tasted burnt and I had to toss it. Super disappointing. haha Then you can use that water and/or formula to thin it out.

Post a Comment

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila